Academic Progress

Western Governors University Promise: We help our students achieve their dreams for a degree and career success by providing a personal, flexible, and affordable education based upon real-world competencies. 


WGU takes an active interest in students' progress through their academic programs and requires students to make measurable advancement toward completion of their degree program each term. With this in mind, the University has established the following policies:


On-Time Progress (OTP)

Students completing a minimum of twelve (12) competency units (CUs) at the undergraduate level, and eight (8) competency units at the graduate level, are considered to be making on-time progress toward graduation.


Lack of Progress

Within a term, undergraduate students who complete less than three (3) competency units, and graduate students who complete less than two (2) competency units, will be administratively withdrawn from the university at the end of the term. Additionally, students who are readmitted to the University and fail to complete the minimum requirements described above will be administratively withdrawn at the end of the term and will not be eligible for readmission.


Academic Progress Appeals

A student may appeal an administrative withdrawal for lack of academic progress by emailing from their WGU email address. Students must submit their appeal from their WGU email address between the 25th of the final month of the term and the 5th of the following month.


A student who is administratively withdrawn for lack of academic progress may appeal for readmission for a start date no sooner than six (6) months from their effective withdrawal date. Readmission is not guaranteed. (see Readmission Following Withdrawal).


Appeals should be titled “Academic Progress Appeal”. The appeal must include the following information along with any other details you feel should be considered:

  • Clearly state the reasons that the academic progress requirement was not met.
  • Detail a plan for success in the new term if allowed to remain enrolled.


Questions regarding student policies can be directed to WGU Student Ombuds at 


Article Number: 20396, 2654

3 cu policy