Students may be awarded transfer credit at WGU for some IT certificates and courses they have completed. Only those certificates that align with WGU assessments are accepted for transfer credit.
Certificates must be official and valid (not older than 5 years) to be accepted by WGU. Only official certificates submitted to WGU prior to a student's start date are considered for transfer credit. Many of the companies that offer certification have a page on their website where students can login and email a link to their official certificate to WGU: email@example.com. WGU uses this link to retrieve the certificates. Since these certificates are retrieved directly from the certifying company, they are considered official.
For CIW exams students must contact the location at which they took the exam (Pearson Vue or Thompson Prometric) and have the company email the certificates directly to Western Governors University, 4001 South 700 East, Suite 300, Salt Lake City, UT, 84107. CIW offers many different tests for the same certification. The test number from the exam is required to determine whether transfer credit will be awarded.
Students who have questions about how to order their certificates should contact their enrollment counselor.
How to request CompTIA transcripts:
1. Go to http://www.CompTIA.org.
2. Mouse over "Certifications & Exams."
3. Select "Your Certifications”.
4. After the first paragraph, select "Log in now.”
5. Log in with your CompTIA credentials.
Note: If this is your first time logging in since Oct. 15, 2009, you must first register by clicking the "Never logged in before?” link below.
6. Select Transcripts.
7. If a Transcript is not created then select "Create new transcript.”
8. Make sure the date is selected and then click submit.
9. Enter your enrollment counselor's email address and click submit.
10. You enrollment counselor will receive a transcript link and code and forward them to the Transcripts department.
How to request Microsoft transcripts:
1. Go to https://mcp.microsoft.com.
2. Log in with your Windows Live ID that you used to register for your exams.
3. Select "Share your Microsoft Transcript.”
4. Create an Access code and click "Submit.”
5. Copy and paste the entire paragraph into an email to your enrollment counselor.
How to request CISSP transcripts:
1. Go to https://www.isc2.org.
2. Select "Employer” directly below the banner image.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
4. Select "Certification Verification.”
5. Fill in the form.
6. Gather the link and submit to enrollment counselor.
How to request CIW transcripts:
1. Go to http://www.ciwcertified.com/.
2. Select "Candidate Log In” at the top of the page.
3. Log in and forward validated CIW certification credentials to your enrollment counselor.
How to request Oracle transcripts:
2. Select option to send certification verification to a third party.
3. Enter your enrollment counselor's email address.
How to request CISCO transcripts:
1. Log in at www.cisco.com.
2. Go to Certification Tracking System.
3. Select Certification Tracking System tool.
Note: If you are using this tool for the first time, you need to set up a password for future access.
4. Select publish credentials from the menu on the left hand side.
5. Enter your enrollment counselor's email address.
How to request EC Council transcripts:
1. Send email to certmanager at EC council (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting they send an email to Certificateinfo@wgu.edu stating the student’s name, certification(s) and the date(s) that the certification(s) were received.
2. EC Counsel Prospective Student Release Form.
How to request GIAC transcripts:
1. Send email to your enrollment counselor’s email address. Be sure to include this link http://giac.org/certified-professionals/directory, your last name and all certification(s) held (example, John Doe, GSEC, GPEN, GSE).
2. Your enrollment counselor will forward your email to the transcript department
Note: For enrollment counselors - the Transcript dept. must open each individual link for each certification your student holds and look up their last name so be sure all of their certifications are listed on the email.
Article Number: 20404, 1220