All Clinical Lab and Clinical Intensive grade appeals are handled within the Nursing department. There is no university-level appeal for lab or clinical grades.
Students are to follow the process below to initiate a Clinical Lab or Clinical Intensive grade appeal:
1. Submit the appeal in writing to the student’s mentor. This appeal must be submitted within one week of receiving a lab or clinical assessment grade. The following information is critical to address a student’s concern:
a. Enter “Appeal of [course title] [lab/clinical] Grade: [Name] on email subject line.
b. Enter student name, student ID number, state of residence, and cohort number in the first line of the email.
c. Include the nursing course title, specifying lab or clinical appeal, and the grade received.
d. Include feedback and evaluation by the lab or clinical instructor.
e. Provide a description of the issues or concerns and what the student believes should have happened.
Include the following, as applicable:
f. Relevant citations to the course text or other credible source supporting the student’s assertion.
2. Once complete, the mentor will forward the student’s appeal to the state director of nursing. If additional information is required, the state director of nursing will contact the student.
3. The state director of nursing investigates the concern, including, but not limited to, the following documentation:
4. If the investigation confirms inconsistencies or mitigating circumstances in the assessment process, the state director of nursing will escalate the discussion to include the chief nursing officer.
5. The state director of nursing will notify the student of the appeal decision and accompanying rationale. This will be communicated in writing, to the student and the student mentor, within 48 hours of the completed review.
Article Number: 20528, 2899