WGU Term Break Information



Term break starts: Determine your best option!

  • To be eligible for a term break, students must complete the minimum required CUs in the prior term (3 CUs for undergraduate students, 2 Cus for graduate students) or be approved for an additional term through Student Records.
  • To request a term break students must submit the Term Break Information Request form located in the Student Services section on the Student Support tab of the student portal (opens new window).
  • A term break can begin only on the first of a month after the end of the prior term.
  • A term break can be requested for one to three months. Counsel for a one-month term break must be completed by the ninth of the first month of the break. Two and three month breaks must be requested by the twentieth of the first month of the break.
  • Students must complete term break counseling to have their term break submitted.
  • If financial aid eligible, be sure to complete financial aid paperwork early in the term break.
  • If students have enrolled in the current term and/or submitted course work, they can take a term break only after the current term ends.


During term breaks: Stay in touch!

  • Students should check their WGU email regularly.
  • Students' degree plan assessments and corresponding resources (Courses of Study, Communities, and online learning resources) are not available to them throughout term break.
  • Students need to visit the Financial Services section on the Student Support tab of the student portal, or contact Financial Services office with questions about their financial aid for the new term after term break.
  • Students need to contact the Financial Services office to discuss and make payment arrangements on past due or upcoming charges.


Approach of term break end: Let us know your plans!

  • Students who do not have a balance owed will be automatically returned to active status on the first day of their term. Students only need to speak with the Term Break department if they have questions about their return or if they are not able to return as planned.
  • Students who have a balance due must resolve their balance prior to being returned to active status.
  • Students who are returned to active status must enroll in courses by the 24th of the month following their Term Break end. Note: Enrollment must be set by the 21st in order to be reported to the National Student Clearinghouse as an active student following term break (https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Financial-Services/Financial-Aid-Loan-Deferments/ta-p/154).
  • If the degree plan is not available and a student's term break has ended, they are to check their WGU email for messages regarding their return and contact the Term Break office (877.435.7948 ext. 3121, Monday - Friday 7am to 5pm, MT).


Article Number: 20451, 2102