AL Adding an Endorsement to a Teaching Certificate

Adding an Endorsement to an Alabama Teaching Certificate



The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU endorsement programs. General information for adding endorsements in subject areas that are not offered at WGU can be found on the Alabama Certification Based on Testing page.



WGU Program

How to Add an Additional Endorsement

MA Mathematics Education (MAME)




MA Science Education (MASE)

Graduates of a MAME or MASE program may apply for additional teaching fields through Certification Based on a Passing Score on a Praxis Subject Assessment and Experience. This path allows you to add a teaching field by passing the applicable Praxis exam and verifying two years of teaching experience in a P-12 setting. A list of teaching areas that can be added this way is available on the last page of the Supplement TBC form.

You can apply to add a teaching area to your teaching certificate via this path by submitting parts 1 and 2 of the Application (Supplement TBC and Form CBT) and Supplement EXP to the AL Department of Education. Your Praxis test scores must be sent directly from ETS with your full Social Security Number to the AL DOE.  If you did not select the Alabama Department of Education as an official score recipient when you registered for your exams you can order official score reports to be sent to them by following the instructions on the Sending Your Praxis Scores webpage.

Note: The requirements to add an endorsement in Alabama  for WGU graduates are the same, whether you are adding an endorsement at a new grade level (Elementary to Secondary) or the same grade level (Secondary to Secondary). However, additional rules apply to a secondary teacher wishing to add an Elementary license.

MS Special Education (MSSP)

Special education is now listed on page 4 of the Supplement TBC form. If you wish to add Collaborative Special Education K-6 or 6-12 by testing alone, you must already possess a Professional Educator Certificate in one of the following areas:

  • early childhood special education P-3
  • collaborative special education teacher K-6
  • collaborative special education teacher 6-12
  • or any area of special education P-12, excluding gifted

If you want to add a Special Education endorsement and have a different license area, you must graduate from WGU's MS Special Education program before you can add this area to your license. In addition, Alabama requires graduates of out-of-state programs to first obtain that license in the home-state of the program. Students in the MS Special Education program are eligible for licensure through reciprocity from Utah. Follow the Reciprocity Certification Instructions below to apply for your Utah and Alabama teaching certifications.  

English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)

The English as a Second Language Programs (ENDELL, MAELL) will not lead to an endorsement in Alabama.



Reciprocity Certification Instructions for MS Special Education (MSSP) Program Completers:


Step 1: IMPORTANT: Before applying for teacher certification in Utah you must have a valid background check on file with the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). Order your USBE background check by referring to the UT Background Check Information in this article.  


Step 2: Submit Praxis scores to the USBE.

Step 3: Email to request to be recommended for your Utah teaching license after completing your WGU endorsement program. 
Step 4: Go to the ALSDE web page where out-of-state application forms are posted. 

Step 5: There are two parts of the application for applicants who have a valid professional certificate issued outside of Alabama. 


  • Part 1 of 2 of the Application is the Supplement HTO. Download and fill out this form. Be sure to put your name and social security number at the top of each page. 
  • Park 2 of 2 of the Application, Form OTH, is completed online. This form generates a unique personal data barcode that must be included with your application packet. Pay close attention to the instructions at the top of each new screen. Note: Some pages will require some applicants to put "none" and be sure you do not include your student teaching information on the Education Experience page. 

Step 6: Download the Supplement CER Form and the Supplement TST form. The CER form verifies you have a teaching license in UT. You will need to fill out and sign the top portion of the CER form.  The TST form verifies that you completed testing requirements to satisfy Utah's content knowledge requirement(s). You will need to fill out and sign only the first of the two TST pages. Mail these two forms (3 pages total) to the Utah State Board of Education to completed:


Utah State Board of Education
250 East 500 South
P O Box 144200
Salt Lake City  UT  84114


The USBE will forward the form directly to the Alabama Department of Education. Note: The ALSDE will not accept a print-out of your Utah license as verification that your license is valid.

Step 7: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Requests. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Alabama will not accept WGU transcripts without a printed graduation date. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 8: New applicants as well as applicants for additional certification, upgrades, and renewals who have not been cleared by the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) through the Teacher Education and Certification Office must follow the instructions for a background clearance found can be found by clicking on this link and then navigating to the "Background Clearance" tab. Note that all WGU students should have completed this background check already as part of acquiring their Alabama Professional Educator Certificate.

Step 9: When you have completed these steps, compile all of the requested documents into one package:


  1. Application part 1 of 2: Supplement HTO
  2. Application part 2 of 2: Form OTH (including the personal data barcode page),
  3. Official transcript(s),
  4. Copies of your score reports,
  5. Cashier's check or money order for the application fee made payable to the Alabama Department of Education.


Step 10: Submit your complete application to:


State of Alabama Department of Education
Teacher Education and Certification Office
5215 Gordon Persons Building
PO Box 302101
Montgomery, AL 36130-2101


You may want to look at "Teach in Alabama," a statewide Web site, that allows teachers to apply online to every school district in Alabama with one electronic application. The site,, is a comprehensive facilitator to teacher hiring. It allows teachers, and prospective teachers, to list their application information, resume, certifications, transcripts and other relevant credentials in one central data base from which school systems can browse possible candidates. The site also has a statewide job board which lists all teaching vacancies in every school system in Alabama.





Article Number: 19313, 1483