AR Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Arkansas Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Note: While we do our best to give you accurate and up to date information about your state requirements, we are not infallible.  State requirements change frequently.  It is your responsibility, and in your best interest, to double check certification and licensure requirements with your state’s Department of Education.


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing an Educational Leadership program must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. 

Initial Out-of-State License Required: A graduate of a WGU Educational Leadership program who wants to be certified as a Building Level Administrator in Arkansas must first apply for and receive a Residency Administrator certificate in Washington. WGU's Educational Leadership program is state approved in Washington. 


Step 1: Apply for a Washington Residency Administrator certificate. Please consult this WGU Student Handbook article for Washington Residency Administrator certification application instructions.
Step 2: Download the AR Licensure Application and complete it. You are applying for an initial administrative certificate via reciprocity. You do not need to complete the bottom of page 2 because you did not graduate from an Arkansas administrator preparation program, nor do you need to pay the application fee until your application has been evaluated by the Arkansas Office of Professional Licensure.

Step 3: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 4: If you do not already have Arkansas State Police, FBI, and Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry background checks on file in the Arkansas Professional Licensure System, follow the instructions in the AR Background Clearance Information article.  The results of your background checks will be reported directly to the Arkansas Department of Education.

Step 5: Obtain verification of at least four years teaching experience on school letterhead signed by a school official.

Step 6: Pay the fee online or include a money order or cashier's check, made out to the Arkansas Department of Education, with your application packet.

Step 7: Compile your application packet:

1. Application form,

2. Official transcripts,
3. A copy of your Washington Residency Administrator certificate,
4. Score report documenting your passing scores on the SLLA exam,
5. If necessary, documentation (copies of the fingerprint card and application for the background check) verifying that the required background checks have been started,
6. Verification of teaching experience.


Step 8: Send the complete packet to:


Professional Licensure
Department of Education
Rooms 106B & 107B
#4 State Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201-1071








Article Number: 19369, 2050

Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎04-06-2018 04:27 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)