AR MSSP Adding An Endorsement

Arkansas MSSP Adding an Endorsement


Note: This article is only for students in the Master of Science, Special Education program.


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing the Master of Science in Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  


In order to apply for Special Education certification through reciprocity in Arkansas graduates of the Master of Science, Special Education program must first obtain another state's Special Education certification.  Follow the instructions below to apply for Utah Special Education K-12, Mild/Moderate certification, then for reciprocal special education certification in Arkansas.


Step 1: If you have not already done so, obtain a Utah State Board of Education background clearance.  This process may take 4 months or more, so students are encouraged to apply for their USBE background clearance early in their programs.


Step 2: You must have begun your USBE background clearance and have been issued a CACTUS ID before they can record and retain your Praxis exam scores. The USBE won't have been automatically included as a score recipient by ETS when you registered for your exam unless you took it in Utah. If you didn't elect to have your scores sent to the USBE when you registered for it, you can find instructions on how to order a score report to be sent to them in the Submitting Exam Scores to the Utah State Board of Education article in this handbook. Western Governors University does not submit your score reports to the USBE on your behalf.

Step 3: After completing your program and after your scores are posted in CACTUS, mail to request to be recommended for your Utah teaching license.


Step 4: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college where you completed coursework applicable to the endorsement sought.  Do not request a transcript for your WGU program until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Once your graduation application has been processed by the WGU Records Office you will receive a notification with information on how to order two complimentary copies of your official WGU transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse. You will have the option of selecting electronic or mail delivery. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see the WGU Transcript FAQ article

Step 5: Once your Utah certification has been issued, request a Reciprocity Packet from the Arkansas Department of Education by emailing


Step 6: Complete your Online Application, then submit your completed packet to the ADE including your:

  • Your official transcripts
  • A copy of your out-of-state educator’s license
  • A copy of your Praxis 5543 scores, if the ADE has not yet recorded them.



Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎05-08-2019 05:55 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)