AR Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

Arkansas Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

Note: To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a Master of Science in Special Education degree, or a post baccalaureate certification must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree who have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree must have marks of "pass” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree who do not have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.

Initial Utah License Required: WGU students who want to license in Arkansas need to first license in Utah and then apply for a reciprocal license in Arkansas after completing their teacher or administrator preparation program. You must have a valid background clearance on file with the USBE for Utah licensure, and cannot license if your background check has expired or been revoked.
Step 1: Follow the instructions to apply for initial teacher certification in Utah. Once you receive your UT teaching license, you may apply for a reciprocal certificate in the state of Arkansas by continuing with the following steps.

An outline of the documentation required for certification by reciprocity is available on the Licensure by Reciprocity web page.

Step 2: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 3: If you have not already completed Arkansas State Police, FBI, and Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry background checks for the Arkansas Department of Education, follow the instructions in the Arkansas Background Clearance Information article.  The results of your background checks will be reported directly to the Arkansas Department of Education. You will not be eligible for licensure until both checks have come back clear and are entered into the Arkansas Professional Licensure System.

Step 4:  Complete the online application:  Attach a scanned copy of your Utah License, and all of your score reports.
Step 5: Pay the fee online.
Step 6: Submit your official transcripts to the below address:

Arkansas Department of Education,

Educator Licensure Unit
#4 State Capitol Mall

Rooms 106B
Little Rock, AR 72201-1071

Note: Arkansas requires that all teachers being licensed in early childhood, elementary, any middle school area, or secondary social studies must complete a three-hour course in Arkansas History before receiving a standard Arkansas teaching license. This coursework is not offered by WGU and must be taken at a local AR college/university. A one-year, non-renewable provisional teaching license is available for those that haven’t completed the three-hour Arkansas History course. During that year’s time, this course must be taken.


Important Information About Teaching Licenses in Arkansas:  Effective January 1, 2019, Arkansas will implement a tiered licensing system. Applicants who are eligible for the Standard License will receive an Early Career Professional Educator License, a five year, renewable teaching license. 



Article Number: 19390, 1467
Version history
Revision #:
12 of 12
Last update:
‎12-13-2018 12:13 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)