AZ Adding an Endorsement to a Teaching Certificate

Adding an Endorsement to an Arizona Teaching Certificate

The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU programsInformation on adding subject areas that are not offered by WGU is available through the Arizona Department of Education.



WGU Program

How to Add an Endorsement or Approved Area

MA Mathematics Education (MAME)




MA Science Education (MASE)


If you hold an elementary or secondary teaching certificate and wish to add an approved area, you may do so by passing the appropriate AEPA or NES subject exam, completing a degree program in the appropriate subject area, or completing one of the other requirements listed on the Add an Approved Subject Area to a Teaching Certificate document. Refer to the specific requirements under "5. Subject Knowledge Competency." 


MS Special Education (MSSP)


You may obtain a Mild-Moderate Special Education Certification by graduating from the MS in Special Education program at WGU and passing the required exams. Special Education is not an endorsement in Arizona; it is a new teaching certificate. Please see the Requirements for the Mild-Moderate Special Education Certificate document for more information. 


English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)


In Arizona, English as a Second Language is an endorsement that is added to a teaching certificate. You may add an endorsement in English as a Second Language by graduating from an ELL program at WGU and meeting the Requirements for English as a Second Language.




To add an endorsement, additional area, or new certificate, follow the instructions in the Arizona Regular Education Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instru... student handbook article. 




Article Number: 19347, 1537

Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎11-26-2018 10:43 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)