CA Adding an Authorization to a CA Teaching Credential

General Information


The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU programs. Information on adding endorsements that are not offered by WGU is available through the Adding a Licensure Area web page.


Program Specific Information 


WGU Program

How to Add an Additional Endorsement

MA Mathematics Education (MAME)




MA Science Education (MASE)

A) Adding an Authorization at the Same Grade Level (Secondary > Secondary)

If you wish to add an endorsement at the same grade level as your initial credential, you must demonstrate subject matter competence by either passing the CSET exams in that subject area or completing CTC approved subject-matter coursework. For further information on requirements and for application instructions, click here.

B) Adding an Authorization Area at a New Grade Level (Elementary > Secondary)

Multiple subject credential holders must meet the following requirements to obtain a single subject credential:

  • Demonstrate subject matter competence by either passing the CSET exams in the new subject area or completing CTC approved subject-matter coursework.
  • Complete a course in teaching methodology at the secondary level.
  • Complete course work in developing English language skills, including reading, unless previously satisfied for the Multiple Subject Credential.
  • Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and provisions of the Constitution of the United States by coursework or examination, unless previously satisfied for another CTC issued teaching credential.
  • Possess an English learner authorization issued by the Commission authorizing service in English Language Development (ELD) and Specially Designed Academic Instruction delivered in English (SDAIE). See Credential Leaflet CL-622 for more information.

For further information on requirements and for application instructions, click here

MS Special Education (MSSP)

If you wish to add Special Education, you must first receive that endorsement from Utah before application can be made to add that endorsement to the existing California license. This includes obtaining a USBE Background Clearance, which should be completed before your Special Education practicum. This process takes 12-16 weeks to complete.

After you graduate from your WGU program follow the instructions in the in the CA Special Education Teaching Credential Application Information article in this handbook.  

English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)

The CLAD certificate is an add-on to a CA teaching credential that requires either the completion of a CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing-approved CTEL (California Teachers of English Learners) program (either 12 semester or 18 quarter upper division units) or passing scores on tests 1, 2, and 3 of the CTEL Examination. The WGU MA/endorsement programs in English Language Learning are not CTC-approved CTEL programs, but they can prepare CA educators for the CTEL exam route to certification. Click here for more information about the CTEL exams.




MS Special Education (MSSP) graduates should follow the instructions found in the CA Special Education Teaching Credential Application Information article to apply.


MA Mathematics Education (MAME) and MA Science Education (MASE)


Step 1: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college where you completed coursework applicable to the endorsement sought. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.


Step 2: Download and complete CTC Form 41-4 Application for Credential Authroizing Public School Service.  For guidance in completing the application refer to the Form 41-4 Instructions and Information Sheet.  Once you've complted the application you must print and sign it in the space provided on pg. 5.


Step 3: Compile your application packet:


1. Application form and Conduct Review Statement
2. Official transcript(s) in sealed envelopes
3. Official score reports
4. Check or money order made payable to the "Commission on Teacher Credentialing" or "CTC" (see Fee Information leaflet CL-659 for a fee schedule)


Step 6: Send complete application packet to


Commission on Teacher Credentialing

Certification Division

1900 Capitol Avenue

Sacramento, CA 95811-4213



Article Number: 19391, 1541