CA MAT Secondary English Exam Requirements - Reciprocity Pathway

Note: WGU Secondary English students who want to become certified in California must first license in Utah after completing their teacher preparation program. This process requires a USBE background check. They can then apply for a reciprocal California credential after receiving their Utah license.


In California, this program leads to a Preliminary Credential in Single Subject English


The WGU MAT English program does not lead to an English Learner Authorization. MAT English graduates apply for their California credential via reciprocity through Utah. Therefore, MAT English students do not need to satisfy California's U.S. Constitution requirement. They also do not need to complete the CSET exams for Single Subject English. You can find more information in CL-560.

Content Exam for Utah Certification: Praxis II 5039 English Language Arts: Content and Analysis
You must pass this exam to graduate from this program and be recommended for certification.
This exam also satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.


Visit these links for more important information:

General Information About Licensing in Utah and California
Registering for Praxis Exams
Submit your exam scores to WGU and the Utah State Board of Education
Applying for Your California Teaching License

California Teaching Performance Assessment


Article Number: 43488