CT Certification Instructions: Elementary and Bachelor of Arts in Special Education Programs

Connecticut Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions: Elementary and Bachelor of Arts in Special Education Programs


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree or a post baccalaureate certification must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree who have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree must have marks of "pass” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree who do not have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.


Initial Utah License Required: WGU students in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Arts in Special Education (BASP, BASPMM, and BASPEE) programs who want to license in Connecticut need to first license in Utah after completing their teacher preparation program, and then apply for a license in CT. You must have a valid background clearance on file with the USBE for Utah licensure, and cannot license if your background check has expired or been revoked. 

Step 1: Follow the instructions to apply for initial teacher certification in Utah. Once you receive your UT teaching license, you may apply for a license in the state of Connecticut by following the steps outlined below.  You may also go to the Connecticut Department of Education website for additional information. 

Step 2: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Masters students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their Masters program. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 3: Download the Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution form and complete the top portion with your personal information. Send the form to the WGU Certification Officer at the contact information below. Email submissions are preferred and should be in PDF format.

Email: licensure@wgu.edu
Fax: 801-401-7961

The Certification Officer will complete the form and send it back to you for inclusion in your application packet. If you have not already reported your exam scores to WGU, you will need to send a copy of those scores to the Certification Officer as well before the recommendation can be completed.

Step 4: Apply online and pay your application fee by using the Connecticut Educator Certification System (CECS).

Step 5: If you have worked in a public or an approved private school, then you need to complete a Statement of Professional Experience form for each district or private school in which you worked. The form requires the signature of the Superintendent, Executive Director, or the appropriate designee of these officials.

Step 6: Compile your additional documentation:

1. Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution form, 
2. Statement of Professional Experience form (if applicable),
3. Official transcripts,
4. A copy of your UT teaching license,
5. Score report documenting your passing scores on the required Praxis exam(s),

Send complete packet to:

Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification
Connecticut State Department of Education
P.O. Box 150471--Room 243
Hartford, CT 06115-0471.



Article Number: 19439, 1276

Version history
Revision #:
10 of 10
Last update:
‎02-20-2019 09:40 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)