California Certification Requirements and Available Licenses - Direct Pathway


Note: The following licenses (with the exception of the Child Development Permit) obtained via direct pathway are available only through endorsement (advanced) programs at WGU, meaning these programs are intended for educators who already hold an initial teaching license and are seeking to add additional endorsements to that license. If you are seeking an initial teaching credential in California, please refer to this Student Handbook article for information on available initial teaching licenses through WGU.


Not Available: Child Development Permit

Preliminary Foundational Mathematics (Middle School)

Preliminary Foundational Science (Middle School)

Preliminary Single Subject Mathematics

Preliminary Single Subject Biological Sciences

Preliminary Single Subject Chemistry

Preliminary Single Subject Physics

Preliminary Single Subject Geosciences

CLAD/ELA1 (Cross-cultural, Language, and Academic Development)

Administrative Services

California has the following general requirements for applicants applying for additional content areas to their existing teaching credential:

1. COURSEWORK REQUIREMENT (where applicable): If you are adding a new content area, you must complete a methodology course specific to the new area. Please refer to the CTC document titled Adding a Teaching or Content Area to Multiple and Single Subject Credentials. This is satisfied through completion of your endorsement (advanced) program.

2. BACKGROUND CLEARANCE:  Completion of the required background check resulting in receipt of a Certificate of Clearance from the CTC. California teaching permits or credentials that required a Certificate of Clearance may also satisfy this requirement.

3. CONTENT EXAM REQUIREMENT:  Verify subject matter competence by passing the relevant CSET exams.



4. OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Please review the Adding a Teaching or Content Area to Multiple and Single Subject Credentials document to ensure you have met any other requirements (U.S. Constitution, English Learner Authorization (ELA), etc.) that you may not have satisfied to obtain your initial preliminary or clear teaching credential.


Version history
Revision #:
7 of 7
Last update:
‎01-22-2019 02:27 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)