DE Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Delaware Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Note: To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification or a Master of Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. Students who are pursuing a Master of Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

Delaware accepts direct applications for teacher and administrator licensure from those who complete out-of-state, approved educator preparation programs like those offered by WGU. Follow the process below to prepare your application for an initial teaching license in Delaware.


Students that are already employed by a Delaware school district or charter school should send all documentation, except test scores, to their district personnel office or charter school, who will forward the information to the Department of Education. All test scores should be sent directly to the Department of Education.

Step 1. Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 2. Download Form T, the Request for Transcript form/ Out-of-State Approved Program Verification form.  Fill out the top portion with your personal information, and then send it to the WGU Certification Officer at the contact information below. Fax and email submissions are preferred; email attachments should be in pdf format.

Teachers College Certification Officer
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Fax: 801-401-7961

The Certification Officer will complete the form and send it back to you for inclusion in your application packet. Although this is a transcript request form as well as a recommendation form, this will not suffice for requesting a WGU transcript. You must go through the link above in order to request an official WGU transcript.

If you have not already submitted your exam scores to WGU, you will need to send a copy of those scores to the Certification Officer so that your licensure recommendation can be completed. 

Step 3: If you have been a full-time K-12 educator at a private school, then you also need to have the Verification of Teaching Experience form completed. Fill out the top portion of the form, and send it to the employing school to be completed and sent back to you in a sealed envelope.


Note: If you are applying for a principal's certificate you must use this form to verify three years of teaching experience at the level for which you are applying for administrator certification. If that experience has occurred in more than one school district, send the form to every school district where you have been employed as a teacher.

Step 4: If the Delaware Department of Educator Licensure is not listed as a recipient on your Praxis score report, then you need to request that ETS send the DoE an official copy of your Praxis test scores. You can request this from ETS by calling 1-800-772-9476 or by submitting the Additional Score Report Request Form via fax or mail.  Please use Delaware Department of Education's Reporting Code of R7065.

Step 5: Access the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS). If you are currently employed, you will log in through IMS; you can register for a DEEDS account here.  After registering, you will receive a user name and password that will allow you to access and submit the online application for licensure. You can also check the status of your application through DEEDS once it has been submitted.

Step 6: If you are currently employed in a Delaware public or charter school, send all supplementary application documents to your employer for submission to the Delaware Department of Education. All others must mail the required documentation directly to the Delaware DoE:

Delaware Department of Education
Collette Education Resource Center
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
ATTN:  Certification

Your application will not be processed until these supplementary documents have been received:

1. All official transcripts,
2. Official Praxis score report documenting your passing scores on the Praxis I basic skills exam as well as the applicable Praxis II content exam(s),
3. Out-of-State Approved Program Verification form (Form T),
4. Verification of Teaching Experience form, if applicable.







Article Number: 19464, 1280

Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
‎04-18-2018 12:53 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)