HI Adding an Endorsement to a Teaching License

Adding an Endorsement to a Hawaii Teaching License



The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU endorsement programs. For additional information on adding areas that are not offered at WGU, see the instructions for adding a field to a Hawaii license.



WGU Program


How to Add an Additional Endorsement


All Endorsement Programs


Educators holding a current Hawaii teaching license can apply to add a teaching field to that license by completing a state-approved teacher preparation program in that field, by completing coursework, or by passing the appropriate content exam. Educators looking to add a new teaching field at a new grade level will need to take the corresponding PLT exam. For further information on these options and on which endorsements are available, please see the instructions for adding a field to a Hawaii license.

Note: The requirements to add an endorsement in Hawaii are the same, whether you are adding an endorsement at a new grade level (Elementary to Secondary) or the same grade level (Secondary to Secondary).



Step 1: Download the Institutional Recommendation form (LA3009).  Fill out the top portion of the form, and email it to the Teachers College Certification Officer at licensure@wgu.edu who will complete the form and email it to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board:

Teachers College Certification Office
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

WGU must have copies of all content and pedagogy exam scores before the recommendation can be completed. You will receive a digital copy in an email of the completed form once it has been completed. 

Step 2: Obtain a copy of your final WGU transcript. Two copies will be mailed to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript.  Be sure to leave your transcript in the sealed envelope to be included with your application packet.

Step 3: Send transcript and completed application to

Hawaii Teacher Standards Board

Attention: Licensing Section
650 Iwilei Road #201
Honolulu, HI 96817






Article Number: 19548, 1548

Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
‎12-07-2018 03:48 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)