HI Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

Hawaii Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions


Note: To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification or a Master of Science in Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

Hawaii accepts direct applications for licensure from teacher candidates who have completed an out-of-state, approved teacher preparation program, like those offered at WGU. Follow the steps below to prepare your application for Hawaii licensure.  The Hawaii Teacher Standards Board has recently removed its paper-based applications from its website, and is directing applicants to use their online system. 

Submitting an Online Application:

Step 1: Hawaii uses an online application system for teacher certification.


  • Go to the HTSB application website and create an account.
  • Log into your account and follow the instructions to apply for your Provisional or Standard teaching license. 
  • If you have completed your teacher preparation program at WGU and have less than three years of contracted, full time teaching experience, you should apply for a Provisional license.

Step 2: Obtain an official WGU transcript. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Masters students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their Masters program. Be sure to leave your transcript in the sealed envelope.

Step 3: Fill out the top portion of the Institutional Recommendation Form (LA3009), and send it to the Certification Officer at WGU, who will complete the form and email it back to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board. Fax and email submissions are preferred; email attachments should be in pdf format.

Teachers College Certification Officer
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
Fax: 801-401-7961
Email: licensure@wgu.edu

Step 4: If the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board is not listed as a recipient on your Praxis score report, you must contact ETS and request that they mail an official score report directly to HTSB (code 8620). You may do this by calling 1-800-772-9476 or by submitting the Additional Score Report Request Form to ETS via fax or mail.

Step 6: Mail your official WGU transcript to:

Hawaii Teacher Standards Board
Attention: Licensing Section
650 Iwilei Road #201
Honolulu, HI 96817

Step 7:  You will need to pay the licensing fee to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) online when submitting your application. You can see the fees associated with licenses in Hawaii here




Article Number: 19562, 1292

Version history
Revision #:
16 of 16
Last update:
‎12-07-2018 04:06 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)