IA Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

Iowa Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree or a post baccalaureate certification must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

Initial Utah License Required: WGU students who want an initial Iowa teaching certificate must first license in Utah after completing their teacher preparation program, and then apply for an exchange license in Iowa. 


Step 1: Ensure that you have submitted your exam scores to WGU and the Utah State Board of Education. For instructions see the articles Submit your exam scores to WGU and the Utah State Board of Education.

Step 2: Follow the instructions to apply for initial teacher certification in Utah available at UT Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions. You must have a valid background clearance on file with the USBE for Utah licensure, and cannot license if your background check has expired or been revoked. Once you receive your UT teaching license, you may apply for an exchange certificate in the state of Iowa by following these steps:

Step 3:  Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 4: Apply online for the Iowa license via an Out of State Institution.

Step 5: When you enter Western Governors University as your institution, Iowa will automatically send an e-mail to WGU licensure to complete the program verification information and submit online.

Step 6: Once WGU has completed the verification you can pay your fee online with a credit card ($223 total, which includes the background check fee) and submit your application online.


WGU students in Iowa can apply for the Iowa Substitute Authorization while they wait for their Iowa teaching license.  The "Substitute Authorization" program will allow WGU graduates to substitute teach at the middle school and high school level while the license is being processed.  It is designed for people who don't have teaching degrees, but who would like to substitute teach.  Usually, applicants have to take a training course before being allowed to substitute teach, but WGU graduates will probably be able to skip this requirement due to their extensive training. 


FAQ on the Substitute Authorization Program: http://www.boee.iowa.gov/subfaq.html


WGU students will only have to pay for the background check once - you won't have to pay it again when you apply for a full license under the anticipated future rules.


Questions regarding this information should be directed to the Teachers College licensure office at licensure@wgu.edu.  



Article Number : 19634, 1313

Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
‎05-14-2019 12:55 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)