IL Adding an Endorsement to a Teaching Certificate

Adding an Endorsement to an Illinois Teaching Certificate


The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU programs. Information on adding endorsements that are not offered by WGU is available through the Requirements for Endorsements. While students in initial teacher preparation programs must obtain a license in Utah before applying for certification in Illinois, students in endorsement programs (MAME, MASE, MSSP, and ELL programs) may apply directly to Illinois to add a new area to their existing certificate. See also the Application Instructions below.





WGU Program


How to Add an Additional Endorsement


MA Mathematics Education (MAME)




MA Science Education (MASE)

Educators holding current Illinois teaching certificates may apply to add additional endorsement areas to their teaching certificate by completing additional coursework and/or testing. Secondary-level math endorsements require 24 semester hours in mathematics with at least 12 at the upper-division level. Secondary-level science endorsements require  32 semester hours in science with at least 24 semester hours in the content area and coursework in at least 2 other science areas plus a passing score on the ILTS specialty content exam for that endorsement. For further details on endorsement requirements, see the Requirements for Endorsements.

Endorsements may only be added through this method at the same grade level of your current certificate. For example, if you hold an Illinois Secondary certificate (Type 09 for grades 6-12) then your endorsement will also be for grades 6-12.

If you hold an Illinois Elementary certificate (Type 03 for grades K-9) and complete one of WGU’s endorsement (MAME or MASE) programs, then you will only be authorized to teach the new subject up to grade 9 only unless you apply with a secondary Utah license. Elementary teachers in Illinois who wish to teach in a single subject classroom above grade 9 must first receive that endorsement from Utah before application can be made to add that endorsement to the existing Illinois license. This means that you must:

(1) If you completed an intial teacher preparation program approved to lead to licensure by the Utah State Board of Education, request a recommendation for licensure from your program provider.  


If you completed an initial program approved in another state, apply for a Utah Out of State (OOS) license by following the instruction on the Out of State (OOS) tab of the Utah State Board of Education's Earning a Utah Educator License page.  This involves clearing a Utah State Board of Education background check and submitting passing score reports for Utah certification exams.

(2) Apply for the additional endorsement to your Utah license after completing your WGU endorsement program. Instructions for Mathematics Education graduates can be found in the UT Mathematics Endorsement Application Information and Instructions article.  Instructions for Science Education Graduates can be found in the UT Secondary Science Endorsement Application Information and Instructions article.

(3) Apply for your secondary license in Illinois using your Utah license (see instructions below).


MS Special Education (MSSP)

You may apply for the LBSI Special Education endorsement after completing WGU’s Master of Science in Special Education program and passing the appropriate ILTS exams. After you graduate, see the Application Instructions below.



English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)


There are two different English Language Learning endorsements available in Illinois after graduating from a WGU English Language Learning programs. Review the IL English Language Learning article for more information, and refer to the Application Instructions below.


Step 1: Visit the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)

Step 2: Follow the instructions to convert your previous ECS account to the new ELIS system, which was created in September 2013. 

Step 3: After you sign in to your account, complete the application process and follow the instructions. After you complete the application and pay the fee, you will be instructed to have your transcripts sent directly to the ISBE. Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from WGU. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the Illinois State Board of Education. To order transcripts from WGU, see the National Student Clearinghouse website. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Have transcripts mailed to:


Illinois State Board of Education
Educator Licensure Division
100 North First Street, S-306
Springfield, IL 62777-0001

Step 4: Download the State Approved Program Verification FormFill out the top portion with your personal information, and then send it to the WGU Certification Officer at the contact information below, who will complete it and send it directly to the IL State Board of Education. Email submissions are preferred; email attachments should be in pdf format.

Teachers College Certification Officer
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107






Article Number : 19589, 1552

Version history
Revision #:
12 of 12
Last update:
‎09-26-2018 08:27 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)