All background checks submitted to the WGU certification office must be less than two years old to meet WGU requirements. Previously submitted background checks that will be over two years old by the end date of your demonstration teaching (DT) or practicum will need to be renewed by the background clearance deadline set for your cohort.
PCE AND DT FINGERPRINT CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT
An Indiana teaching license is not eligible to serve as a background clearance for field experience purposes at WGU. Before beginning field experiences in Indiana, you must either complete an INkless background check or provide a School District Background Clearance form signed on school letterhead.
For an INkless background check, you must complete a live scan fingerprint background check through the Indiana State Police. Set up an appointment with a live scan facility by following these instructions:
1. Go to Indiana’s INkless web site
2. Click on Request a Fingerprinting Appointment Online
3. Click on Online Scheduling (toward the bottom of the page)
4. Click on the link to continue in either English or Spanish
5. Click on Schedule a New Appointment
6. Choose “All Others” from the Agency Name drop down menu and click “Go”
7. Choose “NCPA Volunteer Background Check” from the Application Category drop down menu and click “Go”
8. IMPORTANT: Choose "WGU/Teachers College Certification Office" from the NCPA Agency drop down menu and click “Go”
9. Enter your zip code to determine your closest fingerprinting location and click “Go”
10. Schedule an available time and location that is suitable for you
11. Fill in your applicant information and click “Send Information”
12. Complete your payment process and click “Send Payment Information”
13. Print your confirmation page. If you provided an e-mail address, you will receive an e-mail confirmation as well.
14. Bring one of the following with you to your fingerprinting appointment: Driver License, State Issued ID, Passport, Work ID with Picture and DOB, or Alien ID card with Picture and DOB. If you do not have one of these forms of identification, you must bring both a valid birth certificate and a social security card.
15. Arrive at the facility at your appointed date and time and have your fingerprints captured. This typically takes less than five minutes.
16. Once you are fingerprinted, your results will be sent to the Indiana State Police electronically.
17. Notify WGU by uploading a message in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance about one week after you complete your fingerprinting. WGU’s Background Clearance specialists will then verify the results of your background check. Your background check results will be based on an Indiana State Police check of all 92 counties in Indiana and a national FBI check of all 50 states.
In certain circumstances, even though you have been cleared for demonstration teaching by WGU, the school district in which you are placed for field experiences may have an additional background check requirement that is not required by WGU. Or, the school district may make a different determination regarding a background clearance. You may be required to provide additional documentation to the school district. If so, you are also required to abide by the school district’s decision of approval or denial of the submitted background clearance information.
Background questions please contact WGU Background Specialists at email@example.com or call 866-889-0132 option 5.
Article Number: 19608, 1307