In Indiana, this program leads to certification as a Building Level Administrator.
Indiana has the following requirements for applicants for an initial building level administrator license who have completed an out-of-state program:
1. DEGREE: Master's degree from a regionally accredited university.
2. PROGRAM: Completion of a program in school administration that includes at least 45 credits of graduate study in educational leadership, an internship, and is approved to lead to administrator certification in the home-state of the program. According to current Indiana rules, completion of an educational leadership program offered by a NCATE accredited institution like WGU will be considered equivalent to completion of a 45 credit hour program.
3. RECOMMENDATION: Recommendation for certification from the approved program provider.
4. NCATE ACCREDITATION: Possession of a comparable administrator certificate from the home-state of the educational leadership program completed or completion of an approved program at an NCATE accredited institution.
5. CURRENT LICENSE AND EXPERIENCE: A Proficient Practitioner or standard Indiana teaching license at the level for which administrator certification is sought (elementary or secondary) and two years of teaching experience. Teaching experience gained under a charter school license is not considered acceptable teaching experience by the Indiana Department of Education. A maximum of one year of teaching experience gained under an emergency permit is allowed.
6. PRACTICUM: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
7. EXAMS: Pass the following two exams:
1. IN CORE 039: School Administrator - Building Level
OR SLS 6011: School Leaders License Assessment, if passed by 5/31/14
OR SLS 1011: School Leaders License Assessment, if passed by 8/31/11
2. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018 the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Indiana. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
Visit these links for important information:
Article Number: 19605, 1835