KS Certification Requirements and Available Licenses

Kansas Certification Requirements and Licenses Available


Early Childhood, Unified Birth-Kindergarten

Elementary Education, K-6

Adaptive Special Education, K-6 and 6-12

Mathematics, 5-8

History, Government and Social Studies, 6-12

Mathematics, 6-12

Biology, 6-12

Chemistry, 6-12

Earth and Space Science, 6-12

Physics, 6-12

English Language Arts, 6-12
English for Speakers of Other Languages, Pk-12

Kansas has the following general requirements for all initial teacher certification applicants who have completed an out-of-state teacher preparation program:

1. RECIPROCITY/INITIAL UTAH LICENSE: Standard teaching license awarded by the department of education of the home-state of the teacher education program. (Please see Utah teacher certification requirements.)

2. DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from a Bachelor's degree program offered by a regionally accredited college or university.

3. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of teacher education program that is approved to lead to teacher certification in the home-state of the preparing program. 

4. BACKGROUND CHECK: Cleared background check run through the Kansas State Department of Education at the time of application for certification.

5. RECENCY OF STUDY: Must have at least 8 credit hours or one year of accredited teaching experience completed within the last six years.

6. CONTENT AND PEDAGOGY EXAMS: Passing scores on all of the required Content and Pedagogy exams.

For further details on Kansas teacher certification requirements, please see the application packet for out of state program graduates on the Kansas State Department of Education website. 

Student Teaching Certificate Required: Several months prior to Demonstration Teaching, you must apply to be a student teacher. See the Kansas Student Teaching Certificate instructions in this handbook for more information.
Article Number : 19648, 1767

Version history
Revision #:
17 of 17
Last update:
‎01-22-2019 02:43 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)