Massachusetts Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
Educational Leadership Certification Available: School Principal/Assistant School Principal, Grades PreK-6, 5-8, and 9-12
Massachusetts has the following requirements for applicants for school principal certification:
1. DEGREE: Possession of a Bachelor's degree.
2. PROGRAM: Completion of an approved post-baccalaureate program of studies including a supervised practicum/practicum in the principal/assistant principal role.
3. EXPERIENCE: Completion of at least three full years of employment in an executive management/leadership role or in a supervisory, teaching, or administrative role in a public school, private school, higher education, or other educational setting accepted by the Department of Education.
4. BASIC SKILLS: Passing scores on the MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills Test (this is usually completed as part of your initial teacher application).
5. PRACTICUM: Completion of an Administrative Apprenticeship/Internship in the principal/assistant principal role at the level of the license sought with a trained mentor using Department guidelines. WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
Massachusetts requires completion of the Performance Assessment for Initial License (MA-PAL) for certification as a Principal.
Massachusetts in-state programs prepare for certification at the PreK-6, 5-8, and 9-12 levels, and require candidates to complete their practicum in a specific grade range. WGU's K-12 Educational Leadership program covers this entire grade range, and WGU program guidelines call for practicum to be completed at the elementary and secondary levels. WGU's Educational Leadership program is considered an "out-of-state program" in Massachusetts, and Commonwealth rules allow for the practicum to be completed in this way.
6. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Massachusetts. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
7. SEI ADMINISTRATOR ENDORSEMENT: Possession of an SEI Administrator or Teacher Endorsement.
For further details on Massachusetts school principal certification requirements, please see the information about MA Regulations for Licensure and the Licensure Help page.
Visit these links for important information:
Article Number: 19738, 1841