MA Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Massachusetts Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification, a Master of Science in Special Education degree, or endorsement program must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree must have marks of "pass” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

Massachusetts accepts direct applications for licensure from those graduating from an out-of-state, approved educator preparation program like those offered by WGU. Follow the steps below to prepare your application for Massachusetts licensure. You can also read a complete overview of the application requirements here.

Step 1: Submit your license application via the Massachusetts Educator Licensure and Renewal (ELAR)


Step 2: Passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills MTEL

Step 3: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 4: Download the Verification of Completion of an Out-of-State Approved Program form, and complete the top portion with your personal information. Send the form to the WGU Certification Officer at the contact information below.  Fax and email submissions are preferred; email attachments should be in pdf format.

Teachers College Certification Officer
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Fax: 801-401-7961           


The Certification Officer will fill out the remainder of the form and return it to you as a PDF so you can upload it into your ELAR account. If you are filling out a paper application instead of applying through ELAR, please request the original recommendation form be mailed to you. 

Step 4: If you are applying for a school principal administrative certificate, then you need to submit as part of your application packet a letter or letters on official letterhead from the district superintendent or personnel director of each school district where you have been employed verifying your experiences in an executive management/leadership role or in a supervisory, teaching, or administrative role in a public/charter school, private school, higher education, or other educational setting accepted by the MA Department of Education. You need to obtain verification of at least three years of such experience.

Step 5: Compile all application documents:

1. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended,

2. Passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills MTEL,

2. University Verification Form,
3. Experience verification letter(s), if applicable,
4. Application fee, if not submitted online. You may pay by credit card by filling out the Charge Card Authorization Form, or you may submit a cashier's (bank) check or money order made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Step 6: Mail complete application packet to

Massachusetts Department Elementary and Secondary Education
Office of Educator Licensure
75 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148





Article Number: 19746, 1337
Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎04-10-2018 08:35 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)