Maryland Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
In Maryland, this program leads to a certification in Administrator II (Principal)
Maryland has the following requirements for applicants for Administrator II school principal certification:
1. DEGREE: Possession of a Master's degree.
2. EXPERIENCE: At least 27 months of satisfactory teaching performance or satisfactory performance on a professional certificate or satisfactory performance as a certified specialist
3. PROGRAM: Completion of an approved program which leads to certification as a supervisor of instruction, assistant principal, or principal in the home-state of the preparing institution with which Maryland has signed the interstate agreement.
4. EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Pass the following two exams:
1. Maryland Content Exam: SLS 6011: School Leaders License Assessment
NOTE: This exam will be retired on 8/31/2019. As of 8/30/2018, Maryland has not selected a replacement exam. You must pass this exam to graduate from the program and be recommended for licensure.
2. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Maryland. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
For further details on Maryland Administrator II certification requirements, please see http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/13a/13a.12.04.04.htm.
WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
Visit these links for more important information:
Article Number : 19711, 1840