Missouri Background Clearance Information - Approved Pathway
PCE and DT Fingerprint Clearance Requirements
Prior to completing preclinical experiences (PCE) and demonstration teaching (DT), students in Missouri must submit a cleared Missouri background check to WGU.
Missouri Background Check Process:
1. Go to the MO State Highway Patrol Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division website at http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/crimRecChk.html.
2. Scroll down the page to the section titled "Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS)" and read the instructions.
3. Click on the link in the bottom paragraph that says "Click HERE to access the MACHS Fingerprint Search Portal."
4. Click on the top button to access the MACHS Fingerprint Search Portal.
5. Since you are ordering the fingerprint background check as a personal review, you must call the Missouri State Highway Patrol at (573) 526-6312 to get your fingerprinting registration number.
6. Once you have your registration number, click on the button that says “Click Here to Register with MACHS.” You will be prompted to enter your registration number and will then be able to proceed with your order.
7. After you receive a copy of the results, upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
If you have already completed a background check for the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), the background check is considered valid for one year from the date of issue. To access background check information that has been sent to DESE you must create an online account at https://apps.dese.mo.gov/weblogin/login.aspx. Take a screen shot of your DESE account showing your name and the background clearance information and upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
School District Background Clearances: WGU students who are currently employed in a school district and completed a recent background check may have the option of submitting their school district clearance to WGU to satisfy the Missouri background check requirement. Please see the School District Background Clearance Article in this handbook for more information.
WGU Clearance Submission Information
Missouri background check results: Have the results of your Missouri background check sent to you. Then, Upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
Additional Background Check for Missouri Licensing: You will be required to complete a background check through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) when you apply for teacher certification. Please see the MO Teacher Certification Application Information article for further details.
Additional Clearance Information: In certain circumstances, even though you have been cleared for demonstration teaching by WGU, the school district in which you are placed for field experiences may have an additional background check requirement that is not required by WGU. Or, the school district may make a different determination regarding a background clearance. You may be required to provide additional documentation to the school district. If so, you are also required to abide by the school district’s decision of approval or denial of the submitted background clearance information.
Background questions please contact WGU Background Specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-889-0132 option 3.