Missouri Background Clearance Information - Reciprocity Pathway
Completers of WGU's teacher preparation programs will obtain an initial teaching license in Utah, then apply for a Missouri teaching license via the reciprocity pathway. Please see the Missouri State Advisories article for additional information.
PCE AND DT FINGERPRINT CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
Students doing field experiences in Missouri must submit to WGU a cleared Missouri background check and obtain a background clearance from the Utah State Board of Education (USBE).
Students in a Middle Grades Science program (BASC9, PBSC9*, MATSC9*), must submit to WGU a cleared Missouri background check and obtain a background clearance from the Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).
Missouri Background Check Process
1. Go to the MO State Highway Patrol Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division website at http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/crimRecChk.html.
2. Scroll down the page to the section titled "Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS)" and read the instructions.
3. Click on the link in the bottom paragraph that says "Click HERE to access the MACHS Fingerprint Search Portal."
4. Click on the top button to access the MACHS Fingerprint Search Portal.
5. Since you are ordering the fingerprint background check as a personal review, you must call the Missouri State Highway Patrol at (573) 526-6312 to get your fingerprinting registration number.
6. Once you have your registration number, click on the button that says “Click Here to Register with MACHS.” You will be prompted to enter your registration number and will then be able to proceed with your order.
7. After you receive a copy of the results, upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
If you have already completed a background check for the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), note that they are considered valid for one year from the date of issue. To access background check information that has been sent to DESE you must create an online account at https://k12apps.dese.mo.gov/webLogin/login.aspx. Take a screen shot of your DESE account showing your name and the background clearance information and upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
School District Background Clearances
WGU students who are currently employed in a school district and completed a recent background check may have the option of submitting their school district clearance to WGU to satisfy the Missouri background check requirement. Please see the School District Background Clearance Article in this handbook for more information.
Utah Background Check Process
Click here for instructions on ordering your background clearance from the Utah State Board of Education (USBE).
Washington Background Check Process (Middle Grades Science initial programs only)
If you are enrolled in a middle grades science program (BASC9, PBSC9*, MATSC9*), then you should order your background clearance from the Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and not from the USBE.
Click here for instructions on completing a fingerprint background check through OSPI, and see the row heading titled, "You are an out-of-state applicant."
WGU CLEARANCE SUBMISSION INFORMATION
Missouri background check results
Upload your background check results in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
Utah background check results
Upload your background check email in your student Field Experience portal under PCE Background Clearance and/or DT Background Clearance.
Additional Background Check for Missouri Licensing
You will be required to complete a background check through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) when you apply for teacher certification. Please see the MO Teacher Certification Application Information article for further details.
Additional Clearance Information
In certain circumstances, even though you have been cleared for demonstration teaching by WGU, the school district in which you are placed for field experiences may have an additional background check requirement that is not required by WGU. Or, the school district may make a different determination regarding a background clearance. You may be required to provide additional documentation to the school district. If so, you are also required to abide by the school district’s decision of approval or denial of the submitted background clearance information.
Background questions please contact WGU Background Specialists at email@example.com or call 866-889-0132 option 3.
*As of 8/1/2017, WGU is no longer enrolling students in the MATSC9 or PBSC9 programs.
Article Number: 19801, 1351