Missouri Educational Leadership Certification Requirements - Approved Pathway
License and Exam Requirements:
Educational Leadership Certification Available: Principal K-8 or 7-12
Missouri has the requirements below for applicants for a principal certificate.
1. Degree: A Bachelor's degree from a state-approved teacher preparation program and a Master's degree in educational leadership that is state-approved in the home-state of the program to lead to administrator certification. Since Missouri requires completion of a Master's level educational leadership degree, educators wishing to become administrators in Missouri should not enroll in the Endorsement Preparation Program for Education Leadership (ENDEDL).
2. Certificate: A permanent or professional Missouri teaching certificate, or eligibility for such through completion of an approved program, recommendation for certification, and passing scores on the required Praxis exams.
3. Experience: A minimum of two (2) years successful teaching experience.
(All applicants must have 3 years of teaching experience as of 9/1/2020)
4. Recommendation: Recommendation for certification from the preparation program completed.
5. Practicum Requirement*: Students must complete MPEA School Leaders Performance Assessment and a practicum at the grade level in which they intend to license in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
*If you completed practica at both the elementary and secondary levels, you must license via reciprocity with Colorado.
6. Exam Requirements: Pass the following exams:
i. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Missouri. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
ii) Assessment required for Missouri educational leadership programs: Missouri Professors of Educational Administration (MPEA) assessment. Completed as part of the Practicum in Educational Leadership course in the standard path.
iii) Missouri certification exam: Building-Level Administrator (072)
Prior to 8/25/2019:Building-Level Administrator (058)
Visit these links for important information:
General Information About Licensing in Missouri via the Approved Pathway
Registering for Praxis Exams
Submitting Exam Scores to WGU