Missouri Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
Note: While we do our best to give you accurate and up to date information about your state requirements, we are not infallible. State requirements change frequently. It is your responsibility, and in your best interest, to double check certification and licensure requirements with your state’s Department of Education.
LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
Educational Leadership Certification Available: Principal K-8 and 7-12
Missouri has the requirements below for applicants for a principal certificate.
1. DEGREE: A Bachelor's degree from a state-approved teacher preparation program and a Master's degree in educational leadership that is state-approved in the home-state of the program to lead to administrator certification. Since Missouri requires completion of a Master's level educational leadership degree, educators wishing to become administrators in Missouri should not enroll in the Endorsement Preparation Program for Education Leadership (ENDEDL).
2. CERTIFICATE: A permanent or professional Missouri teaching certificate, or eligibility for such through completion of an approved program, recommendation for certification, and passing scores on the required Praxis exams.
3. RECOMMENDATION: Recommendation for certification from the preparation program completed.
4. EXCEPTIONAL CHILD COURSE: Completion of a course in Psychology and Education of the Exceptional Child
5. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: Students must complete MoSLPA and a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
6. EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Pass the following exams:
i) WGU Program Requirement: Praxis 5411, Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision.
ii) Assessment required for Missouri educational leadership programs: Missouri School Leader Performance Assessment (MoSLPA) Completed as part of the Practicum in Educational Leadership course in the standard path.
iii) Missouri certification exam: Building-Level Administrator (058).
REGISTERING FOR THE PRAXIS EXAM
Praxis exam registration is available through the ETS website at https://www.ets.org/praxis.
Information on applying for certification as a School Principal in Missouri can be found in the MO Administrator Application Information article in this handbook.
Article Number : 19811, 1843