NC Adding a New Teaching Area to a License

North Carolina: Adding a New Teaching Area to a License


Note: WGU’s Master of Education programs in “Instructional Design” and “Learning and Technology” do not lead to an initial, advanced, or add-on licenses in North Carolina.




The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU endorsement programs. For additional information on adding areas that are not offered at WGU, see the NC Licensure FAQ page and find the question, “How do I add an area to my professional educator’s license?" 




 WGU Program

 How to Add an Additional Endorsement

All Endorsement Programs (MAME, MASE, MSSP, MAELL, ENDELL)

Licensed North Carolina educators can apply to add additional teaching areas to their current teaching licenses by taking and passing the Praxis Test(s) for that area, by completing a state approved teacher education program that leads to licensure, or by completing 24 hours in the subject area with a grade of C or better.

If you have completed a program at WGU, follow the instructions in the NC Certification Application Information article in this handbook to prepare your application for the additional teaching area.

Those who wish to add a teaching area by Praxis testing alone or by completing the 24-hour requirement may apply to update their license by submitting Form U to the address on the form along with a copy of the relevant transcripts, Praxis score reports and a check, money order or credit card form made payable to the NC Department of Public Instruction. You can see all licensing fees associated with NC Licenses here. If you are attempting to add a Secondary Mathematics, Biology, or Chemistry endorsement by testing alone, and did not pass the Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7-12 pedagogy exam to obtain your initial North Carolina Professional Educator License, you will need to pass the pedagogy exam as well as the respective content exam. Please review NC's testing requirements here.

Note: The requirements to add an endorsement in North Carolina are the same, whether you are adding an endorsement at a new grade level (Elementary to Secondary) or the same grade level (Secondary to Secondary). 







Article Number: 19948, 1573