ND Adding an Endorsement a Teaching License

Adding an Endorsement to a North Dakota Teaching License


The information in this article applies to students enrolled in specific WGU endorsement programs. For additional information on adding areas that are not offered at WGU, see the ND ESPB Licensure Website.




WGU Program


How to Add an Additional Endorsement


MA Mathematics Education (MAME)




MA Science Education (MASE)

A) Adding an Endorsement at the Same Grade Level (Secondary > Secondary)

Those seeking licensure in a new content area at the same grade level as their current teaching license need to complete either a minor equivalency (16-24 semester hours) or major equivalency (32-42 semester hours) of coursework in the content area. Student teaching is not required if you have one year of teaching experience at the grade level of your current and desired endorsement area. Semester hour requirements for content coursework vary depending on the subject. See ND CHAPTER 67.1-02-03 for more information on semester hour requirements. Minor equivalency forms can be found here and the major equivalency form can be found here.


If you have held a North Dakota regular educator's professional teaching licensing for two years, you may add a secondary endorsement by testing alone. For more information on test requirements, please see the Praxis website.

B) Adding an Endorsement at a New Grade Level (Elementary > Secondary)

Those seeking licensure at a new grade level must complete a teacher preparation program in the content area at the new developmental level or a content area major, plus 22 semester hours of education coursework, including at least 5 weeks of student teaching, at the new level.

WGU's Masters in Science and Math Education endorsement programs do not provide the 5 week student teaching component required by North Dakota of those seeking to add a new subject endorsement at a new grade level (i.e. an elementary school teacher who wants to teach secondary math). Thus these programs are only suitable for North Dakota educators already licensed at the 5-12 level. 


MS Special Education (MSSP)


Students in WGU’s Master of Science in Special Education program who want to add the special education license area to their existing North Dakota certification must first license in Utah after completing their teacher preparation program; a student can then apply for a reciprocal license in North Dakota after receiving their Utah license.


English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)


To add the English Language Learner endorsement to your license, you must complete sixteen semester hours of specific coursework in English Language Learning, as outlined on the endorsement application form at: https://www.nd.gov/espb/sites/www/files/documents/SFN-58309-English-Language-Learner-Endorsement-05-...



Graduates of a WGU endorsement preparation program may apply for an endorsement to a North Dakota teaching license by following these steps:

Step 1: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college where you completed coursework applicable to the endorsement sought. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 2: Log into your ND Teach account here


Step 3: Once you are logged into your account, click "Begin New Application" then "Add Endorsement - ESPB Responsible." Then you'll be able to select from several options to choose the type of endorsement you want to add.

Step 4: Mail official transcript(s) to:

Education Standards and Practices Board
2718 Gateway Ave., Suite 303
Bismarck, ND 58503-0585



Article Number: 19976, 1574