NE Adding an Endorsement to a Teaching Certificate

Adding an Endorsement to a Nebraska Teaching Certificate

Graduates of a WGU Master of Arts in Mathematics Education, Master of Arts in Science Education, Master of Science in Special Education, or an English Language Learning program can complete the application process to add an Full Endorsement to a regular Nebraska educator's certificate. Student's in the aforementioned programs may add a Provisional Endorsement to an existing Nebraska educator's certificate when fifty percent or more of the program is complete. 





WGU Program


How to Add an Additional Endorsement


MA Mathematics Education (MAME)

MA Science Education (MASE)

A) Adding an Endorsement at the Same Grade Level (Secondary > Secondary)

Educators holding a current Nebraska teaching certificate may apply for a Full Endorsement in additional teaching areas after completing a teacher preparation program in the new certification area. A Provisional Endorsement can be applied for after completing fifty percent of the teacher preparation program.

Please see the application instructions below. 

B) Adding an Endorsement at a New Grade Level (Elementary > Secondary)

Nebraska requires seven weeks of student teaching for individuals seeking an endorsement at a new grade level (e.g. an elementary school teacher who wants to teach secondary math). WGU's Masters in Science and Math Education endorsement programs do not provide this student teaching component, and thus are only suitable for Nebraska educators already licensed at the 7-12 level. 

MS Special Education (MSSP)


English Language Learning (ENDELL, MAELL)

Educators holding a current Nebraska teaching certificate may apply for a Full Endorsement in Special Education after graduating from the Master of Science in Special Education program. One may apply for a "generic" Provisional Endorsement after completing fifty percent of the Master of Science in Special Education program. Please see the application instructions below.



Those who have graduated from a WGU endorsement preparation program may apply for a Full Endorsement. Individuals who have completed fifty percent of the program may apply for a Provisional Endorsement by following the instructions listed below for adding endorsements

Step 1: Complete the online application or download and fill-out the paper application form.


Step 2: Pay the nonrefundable application fee indicated on the application. 

Step 3:  Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Once your graduation application has been processed by the WGU Records Office you will receive a notification with information on how to order two complimentary copies of your official WGU transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse. You will have the option of selecting electronic or mail delivery. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see the WGU Transcript FAQ article. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave transcripts you elect to have mailed to you in their sealed envelopes.

Step 4: If you have completed your endorsement preparation program and are applying for a Full Endorsement, download the Institutional Verification Form, fill in your name and social security number, email the form to, and request that the WGU Certification Officer complete the form. If you are applying for a Provisional Endorsement, then request that the Certification Officer complete the Added Provisional Endorsement Form. If you are applying for a "generic" Provisional Special Education Endorsement, then please request that the WGU Certification Officer fill out the SPED Added Provisional Endorsement Form. Please verify your mailing address in your email as these documents will be mailed to you for inclusion in your application packet.  

Step 5: An Official Praxis Score Report is required when applying for a Full Endorsement. 


Step 6: Compile your application packet:


  1. Application Form,
  2. Nonrefundable application fee,
  3. Official transcripts,
  4. Official Praxis score report (required for Full Endorsement),
  5. Institutional Verification form, or (required for Full Endorsement),
  6. Provisional Endorsement form (required for Provisional Endorsement),
  7. "Generic" Provisional Special Education Endorsement (required for Provisional Endorsement)

Step 7: Mail completed application packet to:


Teacher Certification
Nebraska Department of Education
PO Box 94987
Lincoln, NE 68509-4987






Article Number : 19840, 1567

Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎05-07-2019 03:25 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)