NH Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

New Hampshire Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions

Note:  While we do our best to give you accurate and up to date information about your state requirements, we are not infallible.  State requirements change frequently.  It is your responsibility, and in your best interest, to double check certification and licensure requirements with your state’s Department of Education.

To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification or a Master of Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Teaching degree must have marks of "pass” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

New Hampshire accepts direct applications for licensure from candidates who have completed an out-of-state, approved teacher or administrator preparation program, like those offered at WGU.  Follow the steps below to prepare your application for New Hampshire licensure.

Step 1:  Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Once your graduation application has been processed by the WGU Records Office you will receive a notification with information on how to order two complimentary copies of your official WGU transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse. You will have the option of selecting electronic or mail delivery. You must select electronic delivery in order for the New Hampshire Department of Education to accept the electronic transcript as described in their Educator Digital Document Upload instructions. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see the WGU Transcript FAQ article. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. 

Step 2: Send an email to the WGU Certification Officer at licensure@wgu.edu requesting that a letter be emailed to you on university letterhead verifying that you have completed your state-approved teacher or administrator preparation program at WGU.  This letter will be provided to you via email for you to upload to your online application.

Step 3: If the New Hampshire Department of Education is not listed as a recipient on your Praxis score report, you will need to contact ETS and request that they mail an official score report directly to NH DOE.  You may do this by calling 1-800-772-9476 or by submitting the Additional Score Report Request Form to ETS via fax or mail. Please note that initial applicants for administrator certification have to fulfill the Praxis I basic skills requirement. 

Step 4: Apply online indicating you are applying via Alternative 2.  For instructions, see the Educator Certification Process: Alternative 2


Step 5: Those applying for a school principal certificate must verify five years of teaching experience in section 9. In addition, you will need to request from your employing school district(s) letters on official letterhead verifying your teaching experience and documenting your teaching assignments.  You will also need three confidential letters of reference.  More information can be found in the New Hampshire Certification Standards for Educational Personnel, section 506.04.

Step 6: Complete the application process online by providing all documentation as directed in the New Hampshire Department of Education's Educator Digital Document Upload instructions and paying the required application fee.


Article Number : 19890, 1369

Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
‎07-03-2019 11:56 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)