Nevada MAT Secondary English Exam Requirements

Nevada MAT in Secondary English Exam Requirements-Reciprocity 


In Nevada, this program leads to a license in Secondary English, grades 7-12


Obtaining an initial Utah license is required to apply for an initial license in Nevada via the Reciprocity Pathway

1) Content Exam for Utah Certification: Praxis 5039 English Language Arts: Content and Analysis
You must pass this exam to graduate from this program and be recommended for certification. Nevada will accept exams passed for an out-of-state license to meet Nevada license requirements. 
This exam also satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.


2) Pedagogy Exam: Praxis 5624 Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7–12

You must pass this exam to be recommended for certification.



** Please note that you must select the Utah State Board of Education as an official score recipient.  You must have ordered your USBE background check and have been issued a CACTUS ID before the USBE can record and retain your scores.  The USBE will not be automatically included as a score recipient by ETS when you register for your exams.  You may find instructions on how to select the USBE as an official score recipient in the Submitting Exam Scores to the Utah State Board of Education article in this handbook.  Western Governors University will not submit your score reports to the USBE on your behalf. Failure to report official content exam scores to the USBE may result in delays in the licensing process.




Students in the Master of Arts in Teaching – English program may be eligible for WGU’s Nevada Alternative Route to Licensure (ARL) program. For more information on eligibility requirements, please review the Nevada Alternative Route to Licensure (ARL) student handbook article. Students in the ARL program license via the approved pathway. If you have further questions or would like to participate in the ARL program, please contact

Visit these links for more important information:

General Information About Licensing in Nevada
Registering for Praxis Exams
Submitting Exam Scores to WGU and the Utah State Office of Education

Applying for your Nevada Teaching License