LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
Educational Leadership Certification Available: School Principal, Grades Pk-6, 4-9, or 5-12
Ohio has the following requirements for applicants for a provisional school principal license:
1. OHIO TEACHING LICENSE: Principal Certification will be added at the same grade level of your existing Ohio teaching license. Teachers with a multi-age (K-12) certificate may apply for any of the three available grade levels (Pk-6, 4-9, or 5-12).
2. DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: A master’s degree.
3. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a school principal preparation program that is approved to lead to school administrator certification in the home state of the program and recommendation for certification by the approved program. WGU's school principal preparation program is approved in the state of Washington.
4. TEACHING EXPERIENCE: Out-of-state program completers must be eligible for comparable administrator certification in the home state of the approved program. This requires that WGU Educational Leadership students have three years of teaching experience, as required by Washington, rather than just the two years required by Ohio. Both Ohio and Washington require all teaching experience to be accumulated under a standard teaching license.
5. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
If you begin your practicum on or after August 1, 2016, the completion of a practicum must take place over the course of a full school year. See the Washington Rules for more information. Your Educational Leadership standard pathway will be changed to account for this full school year requirement. This may result in an additional academic term of study.
A full school year shall mean at least the academic year. While principal candidates may begin their practicum in any month, they must complete practicum activities (verified on the clinical hour log) during every month that the school is open for a total of at least one academic year. The practicum does not conclude early if the hour requirements are logged prior to the accumulation of one academic year and candidates may not accelerate through the practicum. School year means the annual period commencing on the first day of September of one calendar year and ending the last day of August of the ensuing calendar year.
6. EXAM REQUIREMENT: Pass the following two exams:
1. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Ohio. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
2. Content Exam (Recommended): OAE Educational Leadership (015)
The Ohio Department of Education may require you to pass this exam prior to issuing a School Principal certificate. However, this exam is not required to graduate from your Educational Leadership program.
As a student completing a program outside of Ohio, the Ohio Department of Education will accept content exam(s) required for certification in WGU's home-state or content exam(s) required for certification in Ohio. Since Washington does not require a content exam for Principal certification, Ohio may require that you pass OAE 015.
For further details on Ohio administrator licensure requirements, please see the out of state application packet and the Ohio Administrative Code, section 3301-24-05.
Visit these links for more important information:
General Information About Licensing in Ohio
Registering for State Required Exams
Submitting Exam Scores to WGU
OH Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions
Article Number: 20017, 1860