OR Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

Oregon Teacher Certification Application Instructions and Information


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post-baccalaureate certification or a Master of Science in Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. Students who are pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments.


Initial Utah License Required: WGU students who want an initial license in Oregon need to first license in Utah and then apply for a reciprocal license in OR after completing their teacher preparation program. This change to Oregon licensure requirements is due to a recent OR Department of Education rule revision outlined here. You must have a valid background clearance on file with the USBE for Utah licensure, and cannot license if your background check has expired or been revoked.


Make sure that you have submitted your exam scores to WGU and the Utah State Board of Education.


Follow the instructions to apply for initial teacher certification in Utah available at UT Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions. Once you receive your UT teaching license, you may apply for a reciprocal certificate in the state of Oregon.


A complete outline of licensure requirements for OR can be found on the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission website.

Step 1: Applicants for initial teacher licenses in Oregon will use the TSPC's eLicensing system. A tutorial for setting up an account on the eLicensing system can be found on the TSPC's homepage.


  1. Once you have created an account, you can begin an application for a reciprocal license by clicking the green "Submit a New Application" button on the top right of your TSPC Dashboard.
  2. After entering your Utah license information, any applicable work history, and your WGU degree program information, you will select "Reciprocal Teaching" from the "License, Certificate or Registry Type" drop down menu.  
  3. Use the "+ Add Endorsement" button to select your endorsement.  
  4. After completing the application you can pay the application fee using the eLicensing system.


Step 2: Applicants for initial certification who have not already completed a background check reported to the TSPC must do so as part of the application process. Instructions on getting a TSPC background check can be found here.

Step 3: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet. 


The TSPC also accepts official digital transcripts, they will not accept transcripts forwarded to them by the applicant. 


Step 4: If you have not already done so, take the Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam. 

Step 5: Compile all application documents:

1. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended,
2. Photocopy of your Utah teaching license,
3. Score reports verifying passing scores on all certification exams including the Praxis exams passed for Utah certification.


Step 6: Send the application documents by email (contact.tspc@oregon.gov), fax (503-378-4448) or mail:


Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
250 Division Street NE
Salem, OR 97301






Article Number : 20066, 1401

Version history
Revision #:
11 of 11
Last update:
‎12-12-2018 12:32 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)