LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
In Pennsylvania, WGU's Educational Leadership Program leads to certification in: School Principal PK-12
Pennsylvania has the following requirements for applicants for certification as PK-12 school principals:
1. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a graduate program in school administration that is approved by the home-state of the program to lead to school administrator certification. Preparation completed out-of-state will be evaluated upon application for certification to assess whether it meets Pennsylvania standards for certification.
2. RECOMMENDATION: Recommendation for certification as a principal by the authorized certification officer of the institution where the school administrator preparation program was completed or possession of a comparable certificate from another state.
3. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Completion of five years of professional service on a state-issued certificate approriate for the assignment. At least three of the five years must be on a state-issued public school certificate valid for the assignment in which the service was performed.
4. EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Pass the following exams to graduate from the program and be recommended for certification:
1. PA Required Exam :SLS 6011: School Leaders License Assessment (or paper version SLS 1011)
Note: this exam will retired on 12/31/2018. Beginning 1/1/2019, you must pass the SLS 6990: School Leaders License Assessment exam.
2. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Pennsylvania. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
5. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
Visit these links for more important information:
General Information About Licensing in Pennsylvania