South Carolina Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
Educational Leadership Certification Available: School Principal (Elementary or Secondary)
South Carolina has the following requirements for applicants for an elementary or secondary school principal administrative certificate:
1. CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS: For certification as an elementary school principal, the applicant must hold a valid professional teaching certificate at the elementary level. For certification as a secondary school principal, the applicant must hold a valid professional teaching certificate at the secondary level.
2. EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of at least three years of teaching experience, including at least one year at the k-8 level for elementary school principal candidates and at least one year at the 7-12 level for secondary school principal candidates.
3. DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: A master’s degree.
4. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of an advanced elementary/secondary school principal preparation program that is approved to lead to school administrator certification either by the SC State Board of Education or by the home state of the program.
5. SC EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Praxis 5412 Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision will be required for SC certification.
If taken prior to August 31, 2018, the Praxis 5411, Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision exam will be accepted for SC certification.
You must pass one of these exams, within the applicable time frame, to graduate from the program and be recommended for certification.
7. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in South Carolina. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
8. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
For further details on South Carolina administrator certification requirements, please click here.
Visit these links for important information:
Administrator Certification Application Instructions
Practicum hour requirements can be found here
Article Number : 20130, 1865