Educational Leadership Certification Available: K-12 Principal
South Dakota has the following requirements for applicants for school principal certification:
1. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: Three years of verified experience in an accredited K-12 school, one year of which included classroom teaching experience or direct services to students.
2. SOUTH DAKOTA INDIAN STUDIES: Completion of an approved South Dakota Indian Studies course. Western Governors University programs do not satisfy the South Dakota Indian Studies course requirement. You must complete an approved course at South Dakota institution. Applicants will not be issued a teaching certificate until an approved course has been completed. Most individuals holding an initial South Dakota teaching certificate have already satisfied this requirement.
3. DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: A Master’s degree in education.
4. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of an elementary, secondary, or pk-12 school principal preparation program that meets the standards set by the South Dakota Department of Education and recommendation for certification by that program.
5. WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in South Dakota. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
Visit these links for more important information:
Article Number : 20151, 1867