Educational Leadership Certification Available: Instructional Leader License (ILL)
Tennessee has the following requirements for applicants for initial licensure as a school principal:
1. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a school principal preparation program at a regionally accredited university that is approved to lead to a school principal certificate in the home-state of the program.
2. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: At least three years (minimum of 25 months) of qualifying full-time education working experience.
3. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
4. EXAM REQUIREMENTS:
Note: Applicants must have passed the required exams within five years prior to the date they apply for licensure.
Pass the following two exams:
1) Tennessee Required Exam: SLLA 6011.
You must pass this exam to graduate from the program and be recommended for licensure.
2) WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Tennessee. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
Visit these links for more important information:
Article Number: 20177, 1868