Educational Leadership Certification Available: Instructional Leader License (ILL)
Tennessee has the following requirements for applicants for initial licensure as a school principal:
1. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a school principal preparation program at a regionally accredited university that is approved to lead to a school principal certificate in the home-state of the program.
2. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: At least three years (minimum of 25 months) of qualifying full-time education working experience.
3. PRACTICUM REQUIREMENT: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
4. EXAM REQUIREMENTS:
Note: Applicants must have passed the required exams within five years prior to the date they apply for licensure.
Pass the following two exams:
1) Tennessee Required Exam: SLLA 6990 School Leader Licensure Assessment OR
SLLA 6011 School Leader Licensure Assessment will be accepted if passed on or before August 31, 2019. If you have not passed the SLLA 6011 by August 31, 2019, then you must pass the SLLA 6990 for licensure in Tennessee.
You must pass this exam to graduate from the program and be recommended for licensure.
2) WGU Program Requirement: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Tennessee. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
Visit these links for more important information:
Article Number: 20177, 1868