TX Certification Application Instructions - Reciprocity Pathway

Texas Certification Application Information and Instructions - Reciprocity Pathway

To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor's degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. 

Initial Utah License Required:  WGU students in a Bachelor's-level or MAT English teacher licensure program at WGU who want to become certified teachers in Texas need to first license in Utah after completing their WGU program and then apply for certification in Texas, since these programs are considered out-of-state programs. You must have a valid background clearance on file with the USBE for Utah licensure, and cannot license if your background check has expired or been revoked. 


Step 1: Follow the instructions to apply for initial teacher certification in Utah available in the Utah Certification Instructions article of this handbook. 

Once you receive your UT teaching license, you may apply for a teaching certificate in the state of Texas by following the steps below. This process of "Certification Based on Credentials from Outside Texas" is also described on the TEA Website.

Step 2: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. If you have not received a transcript with your WGU diploma, then see WGU Transcript Request. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. Be sure to leave your transcripts in the sealed envelopes to be included with your application packet.

Step 3:  Set up a TEAL account with the TEA.  If you need assistance with setting up your TEAL account for the first time, review the instructions.

Step 4: Once you have set up your account, select "Out-of-State Certified Applicants" from the menu options.

Step 5: Request a Review of Credentials.
As part of your request for a Review of Credentials, this form may be submitted for exemption of Texas tests because you were required to take tests to obtain your Utah teaching certificate. Note that exemptions are only considered if you have one year of full-time, paid experience in a school district. If an exemption is granted, you should be issued a Standard Certificate. Out-of-state test scores will not be considered without a review of credentials. Complete only the top section of the form with your personal information and send a written request to Erica Horsley at the USBE to verify completion of your degree and content exams. When you send the email to Erica Horsley (erica.horsley@schools.utah.gov) be sure to include the  following information: 
  • Full Name
  • CACTUS number or other identifying information (birth date and last four digits of your social security number)
  • Please indicate the recipient of this form is TEA and the form should be submitted to the email located at the bottom of the form
  • Scan and attach the partially completed Texas Verification of Exams form linked above in your email to Erica Horsley.

Erica Horsley will email this form to TEA on your behalf. Do not send this form to TEA on your own.  You can monitor the progress of your Utah request by creating a my.uen.org account, then logging into your CACTUS account and reviewing the notes on the Application Status tab.


Step 6: Fingerprinting and a background check will be required if you have not previously been certified by SBEC. The fingerprinting process is initiated once an applicant applies and makes the payment for certification through the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS). At the time the applicant pays for certification, they will also be prompted to pay for the fingerprint background check. Certificate applicants residing in Texas must submit their fingerprints electronically, Option 1, using the Texas Department of Public Safety's (DPS) approved vendor, MorphoTrust/Identogo. Once payment for fingerprinting has been submitted in ECOS, the applicant will be "pre-enrolled" and MorphoTrust/Identogo will send the applicant an email that includes information to schedule an appointment. For further details on the fingerprint background clearance process, go to the Fingerprinting for Texas Educators web page and review the information under "Requirements for Certification Applicants."

Note: If you were previously fingerprinted for employment in a Texas school district in a non-certified position, you may need to wait 48 hours for your previous background clearance to update in this section once you begin the application process.

Step 7: After your Review of Credentials has been approved, you will be able to register to take the necessary TExES exams, and you will be given directions for mailing in any required documentation (e.g. out-of-state license, official transcripts). This is only applicable for applicants who did not complete the TExES exam waiver, or were not granted the waiver.

Step 8:  You may apply for a one-year certificate right after your review of credentials is approved.  This certificate allows you to apply for jobs before you have taken and passed the TExES exams, if you did not apply for the TExES waiver.  Therefore, you want to schedule to take the TExES as soon as possible following the completion of your review of credentials. The computer-administered TExES (CAT) is offered on a continuing basis with first-come, first-serve registration.

Step 9:  Once you have passed the TExES exams and all certification requirements have been met, you may then apply for a Standard Certificate through your TEAL account.

CERTIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS - Converting a One-Year Certificate to a Standard Certificate

After you have passed your TExES exams, login to your TEAL account and apply for a Standard Certificate. You will select the Out-Of-State Certified Applicant application. Once you get into this application, you will see a box where you can select "Standard Certificate." Select this box and then follow the prompts. If done correctly, the application will not require any additional information from WGU. If you began the application incorrectly, you will need to contact the TEA to request conversion to the correct application. 

Article Number: 20195, 1425