U.S. Virgin Islands Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
Note: While we do our best to give you accurate and up to date information about your state requirements, we are not infallible. State requirements change frequently. It is your responsibility, and in your best interest, to double check certification and licensure requirements with your state’s Department of Education.
LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
Educational Leadership Certification Available: Assistant Principal
The U.S. Virgin Islands has the following requirements for applicants for certification as an assistant principal:
1. DEGREE: A master's degree in administration/supervision from an approved institution.
2. PROGRAM: Completion of a planned program of graduate study
3. SPECIAL EDUCATION (6 credits): Complete a minimum of 6 semester hours in special education. These courses are not available through WGU's Educational Leadership programs and will need to be taken at another institution.
4. EXPERIENCE: Five years. Certification as a principal requires five years experience as an Assistant Principal. Certification as an Assistant Principal requires five years as a teacher.
5. LEVEL: Administrators will be certified at the level of their current teaching certificate (elementary or secondary).
6. EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Pass the following two exams:
VI Required Exam: SLS 6011: School Leaders License Assessment
(The SLS 6011 is the computer-based version of the SLS 1011, which was offered as a paper-based exam until September 1, 2011)
WGU Required Exam: Praxis II 0411 Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision.
Please see the WGU Praxis Program / Graduation Requirements for more information.
For further details on the U.S. Virgin Islands assistant principal certification requirements, please see page 40 of the V.I. Board of Education's Certification document.
REGISTERING FOR THE PRAXIS II EXAM
Before registering for the SLLA exam, be sure to review WGU's general policies regarding external certification exams. Exam registration is available through the ETS website at www.ets.org/sls. The ETS website will provide you with the test dates available. The minimum required scores for New Jersey can be found by reviewing the VI Praxis Exam Requirements.
Praxis exam registration is available through the ETS website at www.ets.org/praxis. The ETS website will provide you with the test dates available. WGU students in the Virgin Islands must pass the Praxis II 0411 cut score as required by WGU's home-state of UT. The minimum required scores for Utah can be found by reviewing the UT Praxis Exam Requirements.
SUBMITTING SCORES TO WGU
To ensure that WGU receives ALL of your exam scores and can verify your eligibility for licensure, you must fax a copy of your official score report to the Assessments Office at 1-801-606-7021 or email a scanned copy to email@example.com. All required exam scores must be on file with WGU at your time of graduation so that the Certification Officer can recommend you for certification.
WGU requires all Educational Leadership students to complete a practicum of at least 150 hours.
Information on applying for certification as an Assistant Principal in the U.S. Virgin Islands can be found in the VI Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information article in this handbook.
Article Number : 20251, 2556