Washington Educational Leadership Certification Requirements
LICENSE AND EXAM REQUIREMENTS
In Washington, this program leads to a Residency Administrator (First Issue) certificate with Principal endorsement.
Washington has the following requirements for applicants of a Residency Administrator (First Issue) certificate with Principal endorsement:
1. DEGREE: A master’s degree from a regionally accredited university.
2. PROGRAM: Completion of a state-approved administrator preparation program at a regionally accredited university.
3. LICENSE: The candidates must hold or have previously held a regular teacher, educational staff associate or Initial/Continuing CTE Certificate (Washington or out-of-state).
4. EXPERIENCE: Verification of three years successful school-based instructional experience in an educational setting.
5. INTERNSHIP: WGU requires Educational Leadership candidates to complete a practicum in accordance with the hour requirements listed here.
If you begin your practicum on or after August 1, 2016, the completion of a practicum must take place over the course of a full school year. See the Washington Rules for more information. Your Educational Leadership standard pathway will be changed to account for this full school year requirement. This may result in an additional academic term of study.
A full school year shall mean at least the academic year. While principal candidates may begin their practicum in any month, they must complete practicum activities (verified on the clinical hour log) during every month that the school is open for a total of at least one academic year. The practicum does not conclude early if the required hours are logged prior to the accumulation of one academic year and candidates may not accelerate through the practicum. School year means the annual period commencing on the first day of September of one calendar year and ending the last day of August of the ensuing calendar year.
The Association of Washington School Principals administers a state-funded grant program for Educational Leadership Interns, upon availability of funds. The application is available at http://www.awsp.org/AWSP/ProfessionalDevelopment/PrincipalInterns/Interngrant. If you apply for this program, you will need to submit your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can verify you are enrolled in an approved program and return the form to you.
6. WGU PROGRAM REQUIREMENT: Beginning 9/1/2018, the WGU program requirement is the Praxis 5412: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision for students in Washington. If passed prior to 8/31/2018, the Praxis 5411: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision satisfies the WGU Program Requirement.
For further details on Washington administrator certification requirements, please see http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/Administrator/Residency.aspx.
Visit these links for more important information:
Registering for Exams
Submit your exam scores to WGU