LICENSES AVAILABLE THROUGH WGU
|Early Childhood Education, Birth – Age 8, Grades PK-3|
|Middle Childhood to Early Adolescence, Ages 6-13, Grades 1-8|
|Special Education Middle Childhood to Early Adolescence, Cognitive Disabilities, Ages 6-13 and Ages 10-21, Grades 1-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Broadfield Social Studies, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Mathematics, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Biology, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Chemistry, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Earth and Space Science, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence Physics, Ages 10-21, Grades 5-12|
|English as a Second Language, Birth to Adolescence, Grades PK-12|
|English Literature and Composition|
Wisconsin has the following requirements for all applicants for teacher certification who complete an out-of-state, online program:
1. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a teacher preparation program that is approved in its home-state to lead to teacher certification and eligibility for licensure in the program's home-state.
2. BACKGROUND CHECK: Fingerprint clearance resulting from completing the required background check.
3. CONTENT AREA REQUIREMENT: For secondary education teacher candidates, a major in the content area specialization for which certification is sought.
4. EXAM REQUIREMENTS: Passing scores on the basic skills and content exams required for both certification in WI and certification in the home-state of the teacher preparation program. For more information, please refer to the WI Table of Contents: Teacher Licensure Articles to find the exams required for your program.
5. WI INDIAN TRIBES AND ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION: Wisconsin requires teacher candidates to complete coursework in the study of Wisconsin Indian tribes and environmental education, which is not covered by WGU's teacher preparation programs. If you have not satisfied these requirements previous to applying for teacher certification in WI but have passed all Praxis exams required for WI certification, you will receive a five year initial educator license with stipulations. You will have to satisfy these requirements as part of your professional development during the period of that license. For information on local providers of this coursework, please visit the WI DPI webpage regarding Statutory License Stipulations.
6. PHONICS COURSEWORK: Phonics coursework is also required in Wisconsin for certification in early childhood and elementary education. This coursework is covered by WGU's teacher preparation programs.
7. TEACHING PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT: Completion of teaching performance assessment (edTPA) during student teaching.
For further details, please see the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction website.
Article Number : 20331, 1819