WI Teacher and Administrator Certification Application Information and Instructions


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a Bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification or a Master of Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript.  Students who are pursuing a Master of Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

WGU students seeking licensure in Wisconsin can apply directly for that license upon completion of a WGU teacher or administrator preparation program.**  Follow the instructions below to apply as a teacher/ administrator candidate who graduated from an out-of-state institution.

Step 1: Create a WAMS ID. Click here for instructions.

Step 2:  Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended, including WGU.  Two copies of your final WGU transcript will be sent to you along with your diploma upon graduation. If you would like to order additional transcripts, please click here for more information. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript upon completion of the teacher preparation portion of their program. You will need to upload all your transcripts to your online application.

Step 3: Fill out your personal information in part I of the Institutional Endorsement form and send it to the WGU Certification Officer at licensure@wgu.edu or fax to 801-401-7961.   The Certification Officer will fill out part II and e-mail it back to you. You will upload this to your online application. If the Certification Officer has included additional Course of Study documents along with your Institutional Endorsement form, please make sure to upload these documents to your online application.

Step 4:  If you have been employed full-time in a Wisconsin school district, then you need to send the Employment Verification Form to your current employing school district or agency and any previous ones as well.  You will need to upload these forms to your online application as well.  Note that application for a school administrator certificate requires verification of at least 3 years of full-time teaching experience or 3 years experience as a school psychologist, counselor or social worker that includes at least 540 hours of successful classroom teaching experience.

Step 5:  Log into the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system and follow the prompts to apply for your license. A few notes:


  • You will apply for the Initial Educator 5 Year - Out of State Program (1025) license
  • When asked for the address of the University Campus, enter WGU's address: 4001 S. 700 E, Suite 700, Salt Lake City, Utah 84107
  • Early Childhood, Elementary Education and BASP students will select "I completed Phonics Training."

**Note that Wisconsin requires teacher candidates to complete courses in the study of Wisconsin Indian tribes and environmental education, which are not covered by WGU's teacher preparation programs.  If you have not satisfied these requirements previous to applying for teacher certification in WI but have passed all Praxis exams required for WI certification, you may be issued an educator license with stipulations.  You will have to satisfy these requirements as part of your professional development during the period of that license. For information on local providers of this coursework, see the Statutory License Stipulations page.


Article Number : 20332, 1453

Version history
Revision #:
19 of 19
Last update:
‎10-16-2019 12:38 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Tags (1)