WV Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions

West Virginia Teacher Certification Application Information and Instructions


To be eligible for recommendation by the Certification Office, students completing a bachelor’s degree, a post baccalaureate certification or a Master of Special Education degree must graduate and have their degree posted to their WGU transcript. Students who are pursuing a Master of Teaching degree must have marks of "passed” on their Degree Plan for all teacher preparation assessments to include any program required Praxis exams as well as all state required exams.

Important for Post-Baccalaureate* and MAT* students: If you are planning on completing the MAT program, it is advised that you do not graduate from the Post-Bacc program first. The WVDE will only count your graduate coursework for advanced salary once; therefore, if you graduate from Post-Bacc and then go on to complete the MAT, you will not have enough credits to qualify for the Master's level salary.

West Virginia accepts direct applications for licensure from those who have completed an out-of-state, approved teacher preparation program, like those offered by WGU.  Follow the steps below to prepare your application for West Virginia licensure. You may also reference the West Virginia Department of Education website for this application information.

Step 1: Request official transcripts in sealed envelopes from every college you have attended. Once your graduation application has been processed by the WGU Records Office you will receive a notification with information on how to order two complimentary copies of your official WGU transcript from the National Student Clearinghouse. You will have the option of selecting electronic or mail delivery. If you would like to order additional transcripts, see the WGU Transcript FAQ article. Do not request a transcript until you have received notice of graduation, so that your graduation date will appear on your transcript. MAT students may request a transcript after completing the teacher preparation portion of their MAT program. Be sure to leave transcripts you elect to have mailed to you in their sealed envelopes.

Step 2: Download the Character Reference form (Form 4B). This form is required if you are not currently employed by a WV county board of education. Use the Form 4B to obtain a character recommendation from a person other than a WV County Superintendent.  If you are employed in a educational setting, please obtain the recommendation of your immediate supervisor. However, if you are not employed in an educational setting, you can obtain a recommendation from an employer or community leader. You will be able to upload this form for your Certification Account (see below). 

Step 3: Create an account and log into the WVDE Certification Portal. Follow the instructions to complete an application for an Initial Professional Teaching Application based on completion of a program in a state other than West Virginia. 


Enter all degree information in the Degree History area. For WGU, select Utah as the state. 


Complete all other information as prompted. 


Once your application is complete, please email your Praxis Score Report(s) and your edTPA Report as PDF attachments to licensure@wgu.edu and indicate you've submitted the West Virginia Out-Of-State License Application online. WGU Licensure will also receive a notification that you have completed an application. The Certification Officer must have your edTPA and Praxis reports to attach to your recommendation in order to prevent applicants from getting deficiencies.


The Certification Officer will e-mail you when it is complete. If you have not already reported your Praxis pedagogy exam scores to WGU, you will need to submit a copy of the official score report to scores@wgu.edu.


Step 4:  Mail transcripts and any other required documents to: 


West Virginia Department of Education

Office of Professional Preparation

Building 6, Room 252

1900 Kanawha Boulevard

East Charleston, WV 25305

*As of 8/1/2017, WGU is no longer enrolling students in the PBMA9, PBMA12, PBSC9, MATSC9, PBSS12, or MATSS12 programs. Beginning 2/1/2018, WGU will no longer enroll students in the PBSC12 program. For more information, please contact your program mentor or enrollment counselor.



Article Number : 20313, 1449